Enterprise Architecture

My Blog about enterprise architecture, its role and importance in Information Technology.

Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Where is the revenue?

Most I.T organizations are faced with an extremely challenging task today. A limited budget and unlimited demand for systems and more systems.
Sometimes basic things can be overlooked when evaluating a project. A typical project falls in one of the three categories:-
1) Revenue Generating
2) Cost Savings
3) Efficiency as it relates to systems, processes or computing infrastructure
Most people think that an I.T organization would definitely execute revenue generating projects first, then cost saving ones, and lastly projects that increase effeciency.
In my experience it's mostly the reverse. Since most people in I.T think in terms of effeciency, we tend to favor systems that help us increase effeciency. We work really hard to be lazy!
We are all plagued with cutting costs, hence those projects definitely come next.
What then happens to the revenue generating projects?
Are you in an I.T organization asking the same question?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home